Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lots of pumping, not as much milk

Well, it's been almost two weeks of using the pump now and I only get 1/2 ml each time. I keep waiting for it to increase, and I even tried eating oatmeal. Oatmeal is supposed to increase your supply. I maybe get 0.8 ml when I eat it, but that could be wishful thinking. I am going to keep this up until my meds run out in two weeks, then stop if I haven't made any more. It has been hard to pump at work since I get a half-hour for dinner, and 15 min of that time is spent pumping, with 5 min to clean up. Also, since I don't make that much milk, I can't let it go into the collection bottles since most of it is lost in the filter. So, I have to hold one side on with my arm while I take the other side off, leaving the shield against my skin. I then hold a plastic collection bottle under the shield to collect the drops. Then, I draw it up into a syringe. It is exhausting.
In the end, if I don't make more I will be left with a feeding and a half of my own milk for our baby. I guess that is better than nothing, but really wish I knew this wouldn't work so well before I spent all this money. Oh well, I learned my lesson. ;)

1 comment:

geminicassiopeia said...

Forget oatmeal. Drink beer!;)