Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Lactation Induction

Ah, the wonderful world of hormones. As some of you know, I have decided to induce lactation so that I can breastfeed our baby when we get picked. It is something I always had in the back of my head, and have seen a few adoptive moms come though at work who have done it. I met with a doctor a month ago (not my doc since apparently only one or two docs in Dane cty have experience with this). This new doc just happens to be in Mt. Horeb, so not very close, but no too far, either. She had me start taking the pill, along with a drug called Domperidone. This drug increases Prolactin levels, while the pill helps build breast tissue. They basically do the same thing that pregnant women's bodies do.
The best results come with taking this combo for 5-6 months, but since we could get a call any day, I elected the accelerated protocol. With this way, I only take the pill for 30-60 days with the Dom, then take just the dom and add herbs Fenugreek and blessed thistle. I also start pumping every three hours at that point. I am going to try to give the pill 60 days, then start pumping. My wonderful mother-in-law bought me a pump for christmas, and I ordered the herbs already, so I am all set. I got the new Medela freestyle handheld pump that is cordless. This will be very helpful as I will be lugging it back and forth to work every night.
Apparently, most women on this protocol produce half, if not more, of the milk supply their baby will need. Then, they supplement with formula during or after breastfeeding. (if during, you use a Lactina, which is a bottle hung around your chest with a tube taped to your nipple. The baby sucks and gets breastmilk and formula at the same time).
I am nervous and excited to see how this works. I will also be freezing any milk I start getting to thaw and use when the baby gets here.

No comments: